Designation: Senior Lecturer
School/Institute: Computer Science & Information Technology
Department: Computer Science
|PhD. in Computer Science||Dedan Kimathi University of Technology||2016|
|MSc. in Computer Science||University of Nairobi||2011|
|BSc. in Computer Science||Kenyatta University||2006|
Areas of Expertise
- Machine Learning
- Multi Agent Systems
- Cyber Security, Computer Forensics
- Fuzzy Logic, Education Technology
- March 2020 – To Date: Senior Lecturer, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- August 2013 – February 2020: Lecturer, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- May 2011 – July 2013: Assistant Lecturer, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- January 2010 – April 2011: ICT Consultant, Magenta (K) Ltd
- May 2006 to December 2009: Systems Administrator, RobsMagic Kenya Ltd
Other University and National Responsibilities
- March 2017 – Current: Dean, School of Computer Science and Information Technology
- March 2017 – Current: Thematic Leader in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- May 2022 – Current: Director, Centre for Data Research and Cyber Security
- April 2013 – April 2017: University Attachment and Placement Coordinator
- May 2020 – Current: Chairperson for Kenyan Universities Research Subcommittee-Kenya ICT Authority
- Board of Trustee Member, Western Outreach Ministry
- Board Member, Uzima Junior Academy, Embakasi
- D. Oriedi and G. Musumba, (2022). Modeling Online User Relationships: A Review. 4th International Conference on Advances in Computer Technology, Information Science and Communications (CTISC), 2022, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/CTISC54888.2022.9849818.
- Oriedi, D., Nyongesa, H., & Musumba, G. (2021, December). Influence Maximization: Incorporating Homophily and Topological Overlap. In 2021 International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Energy Technologies (ICECET) (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Otieno, B., Wabwoba, F., & Musumba, G. (2021, May). Bandits using Fuzzy to fill Knapsack: Smallholder Farmers Credit Scoring. In 2021 IST-Africa Conference (IST-Africa), JohannesBurg, SA (pp. 1-10). IEEE.
- Nigussie, E., Olwal, T., Musumba, G., Tegegne, T., Lemma, A., & Mekuria, F. (2020). IoT-based irrigation management for smallholder farmers in rural sub-Saharan Africa. Procedia Computer Science, 177, 86-93.
- Otieno, B., Wabwoba, F., & Musumba, G. (2020, May). Towards Small-Scale Farmers Fair Credit Scoring Technique. In 2020 IST-Africa Conference (IST-Africa) (pp. 1-11). IEEE.
- Musumba, G. W., & Wario, R. D. (2019). A Decision Making Approach for Evaluation of Learning Components in Adaptive Educational Systems. In Annual Conference of the Southern African Computer Lecturers’ Association. Springer, Cham
- Musumba, G. W., & Wario, R. D. (2019, May). Towards Fuzzy AHP Model for Performance Evaluation of Health Care Services. In International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Develoment for Africa (pp. 93-118). Springer, Cham.
- Musumba, G., & Wario, R. (2019, May). Towards a Personalized Adaptive Remedial e-Learning Model. In 2019 IST-Africa Week Conference (IST-Africa) (pp. 1-11). IEEE.
- Musumba, G. W., & Wario, R. D. (2019). Towards a Context-Aware Adaptive e-Learning Architecture. In Annual Conference of the Southern African Computer Lecturers’ Association (pp. 191-206). Springer, Cham.
- Musumba, G. W., Wario, R. D., & Wamuyu, P. K. (2018). Towards an Agent-Oriented Business Collaboration Model. International Journal of Distributed Artificial Intelligence (IJDAI), 10(2), 1-27.
- Musumba, G. W., & Wario, R (2018). Towards Fuzzy Logic in Partner Evaluation and Selection for Virtual Enterprises. Journal of Environmental Sustainability Advancement Research, 4, 119-132
- Kamande, R. W., Kiragu, D. N. U., & Musumba, G. W. (2018). Internal controls, staff red flags and computerized financial fraud among commercial banks in Kenya. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 5 (5), 95-111
- Musumba, G. W., & Wario, R. D. (2017, September). Towards Group Fuzzy Analytical Hierarchy Process. In International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Develoment for Africa (pp. 283-307). Springer, Cham.
- Musumba, G., Kanyi, P., Nyongesa, H. and Wario, R. (2017). Techniques for evaluation and selection of partners for construction projects. Pan African Conference on Science, Computing and Telecommunication (PACT), July, 2017.
- Musumba, G. W., & Wario, R. (2017). Partner Performance Evaluation Problem for Construction Projects. Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology for Development JASETD, Volume 2, Issue 1, 1-29.
- Nyongesa, H. O., Musumba, G. W., & Chileshe, N. (2017). Partner selection and performance evaluation framework for a construction-related virtual enterprise: a multi-agent systems approach. Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 1-21.
- Musumba, G. W., & Wamuyu, P. K. (2016). Virtual Enterprise as a Multi Agent System. International Journal of Agent Technologies and Systems (IJATS), 8(1), 46-68.
- Musumba, G.W., Nyongesa, H.O., Kanyi, P.W. and Kituku, B.N. (2016). Partner Selection and Evaluation Problem for Construction Projects. In Proceedings of the Second Chuka University International Research Conference 28th to 30th October, 2015
- Kituku, B. N., George, M., and Wagacha, P. (2015). Kamba part of speech tagger using memory based approach. International Journal on Natural Language Computing, 4(2).
- Musumba, G. W, Nyongesa, H. O and Kanyi, P. K (2014). Modelling Virtual Enterprises using Multi Agent Systems Approach. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Science, Technology and Innovation, 4th-7th November, 2014. DeKUT, Kenya.
- Musumba, G. W and Nyongesa, H. O (2013). Context awareness in mobile computing: A review. International Journal of Machine Learning Applications, Vol. 2, Issue 1, No. 5. http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/ ijmla.v2i1.5
- Musumba, G. W, Oboko, R. O and Nyongesa, H. O (2013). Agent Based Adaptive E-Learning Model for Any Learning Management System. International Journal of Machine Learning Applications, Vol. 2, Issue 1, No. 6.
- Musumba G. W, Oboko R.O and Opiyo E.T.O (2012). Agent Based Adaptive Learning Model for Intermittent Internet Connection Conditions. Journal of Continuing, Open and Distance Education.
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Otieno B & Musumba G. (2019). Towards Fairness-Aware Classification Technique, Third Mechanism Design for Social Good workshop co-located with 20th ACM Economic Computation conference, Phoenix Convention Center, AZ, USA, June 24-28, 2019
- Musumba G. (2018). Towards an IT-Mediated Food Insecurity Solution for Developing Nations. Second Black in AI workshop co-located with Neural Information Systems Processing (NeurIPS) conference, Montreal Convention Center, CA, December 3-7, 2018
- Musumba G. & Otieno B. (2018). Towards Minimization of Food insecurity in Developing Nations: Block-Chain and Artificial Intelligence Opportunities in small-scale farming, Second Mechanism Design for Social Good workshop co-located with 19th ACM Economic Computation conference, Cornel University, Ithaca, USA, June 18-22, 2018
- Musumba G. (2017). Modelling Virtual Enterprises Using a Multi-Agent Systems Approach, First Black in AI workshop co-located with Neural Information Systems Processing (NIPS) conference, Long Beach Hotel, Carlifornia, USA, December 4-8, 2017
Awards, Scholarships and Recognitions
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of the Free State, South Africa (2018-2019)
Other Academic and Professional Achievements
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
- Cloud Applications Developer Specialist
- Mobile Applications Developer Specialist
- Big Data Specialist
- Enhancing Agricultural Production in Kenya through Deep Learning Meta- Architectures
- Use of Alternative Data from Small Scale Farmers to Develop Less Biased Risk Scoring Model
- Developing Fairness-Aware Classification Models for Mechanism Design for Social Good
- IT-Mediated Food Insecurity Solution for Developing Nations- Case of Kenya
- Towards Minimization of Food insecurity in Developing Nations: Block-Chain and Artificial Intelligence Opportunities in small-scale farming
- Developing Models for Virtual Enterprises Using a Multi-Agent Systems Approach: A case of Construction Industry
Postgraduate Thesis Supervision and Examination
Benjamin Haggai Otieno, Application of Alternative Data from Small Scale Farmers for Less Biased Risk Scoring Model in Kakamega County, Kenya (Kibabii University)
- Jackson Kamiri Wambugu, A Meta Learning Model for Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy (Muranga, University of Technology, MUT, 2022)
- Bischorff Paul Ngumbau Kanuna, Modelling of Mobile Phone Adoption to Access Information within Banana Value Chain in Mathira Sub-county (Nyeri), Kenya, (Multimedia University, MMU, 2022)
- Hellen Wasike, A Tomato Plant Disease Classification Model Based on Convolutional Neural Network and Gray Level Co-Occurrence Matrix Techniques (Muranga, University of Technology, MUT, 2021)
- Kiamati Sonfred Mwenda, Assessment of Factors Influencing Online Educational Content Access: A Case of Students at Multimedia University (Multimedia University, MMU, 2022)
- Monica Mwashumbe Tangai, Assessing the Effectiveness of the use of Biometric Fingerprint Technology in Criminal Identifications, Kenya (DeKUT, 2020)
- Harison Kalimbo Dzombo, Crime Management Strategies and their Influence on Insecurity within Mukuru Kayaba slums, Nairobi county, Kenya (DeKUT, 2022)
- Kamande Regina Wairimu, Predictors of Computerised Financial Fraud Among Commercial Banks in Kenya (DeKUT, 2019)
- Irungu John Mwangi, Forensic Auditing and Curbing Fraud in Banking Industry: A Case of Kenya Commercial Bank (DeKUT, 2019)
Machine Learning, Multi Agent Systems, Cyber Security, Computer Forensics, Fuzzy Logic, Education Technology